Monday, May 4, 2009

Networking?

General Networking Questions?





Ok, so I am good with computers in general, but my weakness is Networking by far. so........





1) We had someone set up our network for us, I have no idea how to add a comptuer to my network when I can see my network in "view workgroup computers".





2) I want to set up a server for everyone to be able to save documents on it.





3)Is there any way to combine two networks in the same house to act as one?





4)If I am hosting a website, is a switch safer to use than a Hub?





I need to know how to do everything in the list above, PLEASE HELP ME!!!








thanks!





P.S. Can any of you explain, somewhat in detail, how i would do everything above

Networking?
1) Goto My Network Place -%26gt; (on the left window pane) click Set-up a Home Network {be sure to enable Printer Sharing and the name of the workgroup must be the same with other pc)





2)Create a shared folder on your server pc, disable all folder permissions that restricts access. Then of each pc you should Map it as a network drive. you can do this by going to the shared folder across the network, right click on it then select Map Network Drive.





3)I'm not sure with this but you can try this: goto Control Panel -%26gt; Network Connections. You'll see different network connections in there (select more than one connection by using CTRL + click on icon you want to combine ) right click on either icons then choose Bridge Connection





4)In terms of security, I don't think that a switch or a hub has security. I think it's in the router. Choose the best router you can find. (FYI: a switch its better to choose than a hub because it divides network banwidth almost equally not like a hub)


No comments:

Post a Comment