Saturday, April 17, 2010

Easy networking software?

I just bought an Apple Airport Extreme router for my FUTURE home network. I have 1 MacBook (wireless), 2 XP desktops %26amp; 1 Windows 98 desktop. I need to find an easy to use networking program so I can share files %26amp; stuff. I had a 1 month free trial version of "Network Magic" about a year ago for the 3 desktops and it worked wonderfully however, I am now poor and need a free program. This program MUST be compatible for OS X, Windows XP %26amp; 98 (with an Airport Extreme). Any help would be great! Thanx.

Easy networking software?
I don't think there exists a FREE program that will be compatible on that many OS versions - Windows 98 is hardly supported by anyone anymore (including MS) and the companies that write "freeware" do not write it to be compatible across MAC/PC platforms unfortunately. I investigated this a while back and came up empty handed myself. Good luck!
Reply:For the Windows machines - it's pretty easy


Make sure they are set up for the same workgroup


Make sure they are configured to obtain an IP address automatically.


Make sure "File and Print sharing" is enabled.


Make sure that each machine has at least one folder that has the properties set to shared


That will allow all windows machines to work together


For the MAC - I'm handing you off to the web site below. It shows that MAC has the ability built in (it should, it's based on BSD) to network with an PC. But I don't have a MAC here, just Linux machines :) so I can't test it for you.


Looks like they all should work with no extra software.





For more answers about connecting Macs, try Googling "network mac pc"


No comments:

Post a Comment