Monday, April 12, 2010

Networking two PC's?

This is my problem. I have a Netgear router with only one port, so I purchased a 5 port switch. I plugged the DSL line into one of the ports on the switch and then ran a cable to both my PC's so both are connected on the same DSL line. In other words the networking ports on both PC's are occupied by the cable connection to my DSL line. My question is, 'is there a way to network these two PC's to share files, folders etc other than the usual networking method'? Can the two PC's see each other via the router connection to the internet?


Any advice would be greatly appreciated


minder1

Networking two PC's?
Of course, if both the PC's are connected to thier own port on the switch then they are effectivley networked.





I take it the Netgear is issueing the PC's with thier Network addresses.





All you need to do is make sure both PC's are in the same Workgroup. So check their workgroup names and make sure they match.





All you need to do then is enable file and folder sharing onboth PC's then choose some folders to share.





Once you goto My Network Places (or for Vista simply 'Network' in the start menu) you should see all the shared folders in one location.





It'll be tricky if you've never done it before, good luck.
Reply:Yes, they should be able to see each other, but you might have to play around with your firewall settings and run the Home Network Setup Wizard on both of the computers.

dental health

No comments:

Post a Comment