Monday, April 12, 2010

Make a non-networking printer network into my computer which has networking already.?

I have an old HP 750 3 in one printer that uses a USB to hook up with my computer. I have a notebook that has networking built-in. How can I make the printer network with my notebook without any wiring. Do I need a wireless hub that comes with a USB connector and just hook it up backwards, putting the USB into my printer and hooking the hub to my notebook with ethernet connections? I think I'm on the right track but I don't want to blow up anything so I will wait for an answer to make me feel better after I blow up something.

Make a non-networking printer network into my computer which has networking already.?
Yes you need to create a home network. So buy a hub and yes wiring is required so a couple of patch cables and connect both computers to the hub (or router type so can act as internet connection as well). Create a network group name (your choice of name) then go to the control panel and printers and share the printer (call it hp if you like) then on the notebook add a printer and refer to networked and it'll be \\desktop\hp (or whatever you called the computer with the printer and the printer), install the printer drivers to the notebook and then you can print.





If the notebook has wireless then you can hard wire the desktop and wireless for the notebook. A router will allow for networking and interent hook up to high speed modem as well. We have several computers and printers and share 2 printers at the moment.
Reply:Yes, a wireless router.





you would need to connect your wired PC into the router, as well as configure the wireless between your router and laptop (WPA/WPA2 is preferred, as WEP isn't secure, but certainly better than an open network)





From there, just enable file and printing from the wired PC (you can go to the printer, right click, and go to shre, and most steps are done for you automatically).. then just go to the laptop, and browse to the printer, and connect.





If that doesn't work, right click on my computer on both, and verify the workgroup is the same... good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment