Thursday, November 19, 2009

Networking Problem, Vista and XP, help please?

I'm attempting to Network my 3 home computers together to share a printer, an external hard drive, and the shared folders on each individual PC. The machines are a Dell Desktop running XP (wired to the switch) , and two HP laptops running Vista (wireless). The networking device is a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. The printer is no problem since it is a nework printer already and all I have to do is plug it into the router and install the drivers on the computers, which is already done. The hard drive is easy two, I know how to share drives and folders once the network is already setup. After using the Windows network setup wizard I can see the Dell's shared drives and folders from the HP, but I cannot see the HP's shared drives and folders from the Dell, what's the problem?





If any more info is needed just let me know and I'll provide it. Thanks in advance.

Networking Problem, Vista and XP, help please?
I'd check 3 things,





Windows Firewall settings





All 3 computers in the same workgroup





File/Folder permissions





If those 3 things are right, then you should be able to access all the shares you want.
Reply:Is the Windows firewall running? Try turning it off temporarily as a test. If everything can see each other, then you will need to open the firewall(s) to allow connections to the other computers in the workgroup.


No comments:

Post a Comment