Saturday, November 14, 2009

Networking?

At school, we have multiple computers, both Mac and Windows, but I'm going to be talking about just the Windows ones right now. I have a username and password to logon, and I can log on to any Windows machine using these, and can access my files (on the server). (I have a separate one for the Macs too, it works the same way). So, it does not matter what computer I use, I can login and access my files and settings. What is this type of network called, and how can I find out how to create one? Thanks!

Networking?
It is called LAN. You need a server and switches.


The switches are boxes with multiple ports for connecting all the computers together.


Each computer connects to the switch by a cable that goes from the ethernet adapter called NIC.


Each NIC is given a specific number called IP numbers.


So you have a switch connecting all the computers, one of them is a server with a server operating system - Windows Server 2003, 2006 or 2008, or Small business server etc..


All other computers are called clients or workstations.
Reply:All their do is establish a server network, they have a room where their are servers that store all data then they connect all computers to the server allowing them to acces information on the server


No comments:

Post a Comment